Our Transitional Housing Program assists employable, displaced adults who demonstrate a commitment to addressing their life issues in a holistic manner. Nearly 2,000 men and women have participated in the program. The majority of our residents are in recovery from substance abuse disorders, behavior health issues, and relationship issues that have cost them their families, their jobs, and even their freedom.
All of our houses are located in Wilmington, DE. The women’s houses are Epiphany House, Jane Ashford House, Patterson House, Palmer I & II House, and Elizabeth House. The men’s houses are Andrew’s Place, Clark House, Criswell House, Corner House, Daughtry House, and Burton House. As residents move from stage to stage, they will also move to a new house.
Our residents receive up to one year of subsidized housing in a communal living environment and lifelong alumni. During this residency year, participants engage with Friendship House staff to:
- Find and maintain employment
- Learn how to maintain a budget and manage finances
- Receive credit counseling and work to eliminate outstanding debt
- Improve relationship-building and decision-making skills
- Receiving parenting training and, when possible, reunite with their children
- Address any issues threatening their long-term strategic recovery
Program Commitments required of Residents
Qualifications: Positive recommendation from a residential recovery program and involvement in a daily program (employment or education)
- $25 security deposit due to at time of move-in
- Savings and program payments based on income
- Food payments: $25/week per adult; $5 additional per week per child
- A desire to make changes in one’s life
- A commitment to address personal issues
- Honesty with self and others
- The ability to take responsibility for one’s own choices
Volunteer Meal Opportunities
Every night, volunteers prepare a meal and bring it to our Stage One homes. The volunteers eat with our residents and staff in a casual environment as a way to embrace family and friends of the community. (Due to COVID-19, volunteers are unable to join for the meal until further notice, volunteers are still able to provide a meal via curbside drop-off)
If you are interested in preparing a meal, please call our office to sign up (302) 652-8133 or fill out the Volunteer Application.
Transitional House Office:
722 N. Union St.
Wilmington, DE 19805
Phone: (302) 428-0151