ATTN: See modified hours below due to Covid-19
Friendship House views its Empowerment Centers as its primary contact with those facing homelessness throughout New Castle County, Delaware. At each open-door drop-in centers, staff and volunteers of Friendship House interface with over 250 people daily. The Centers are not only Ground Zero for the Friendship House Empowerment Strategy Program; it is also the agency’s principal guide for the needs of the New Castle County, Delaware community.
The Empowerment Centers serve clients with a way home. Each center is part of the network of homeless programs housed out of local churches which have a partnership with Friendship House. The principal services include basic hospitality (coffee/ tea, water, bathrooms), the Home Base Program (mailing address, phone service, locker & savings bank), a consultation & referral service, AA and NA meetings and the Job Readiness Program (computer lab, job mentors, I.D., resume, bus tickets, and work apparel).
In addition to case management, the Friendship House Empowerment Centers help people with clothing referrals, pay medical prescriptions, distribute bus tickets and help to purchase birth certificates and/or state I.D. cards. More than 2,000 people use Friendship House as their mailing address, and over 2,500 people access our phone/fax/message service.
Services offered at our Empowerment Centers include:
- Case Management
- Access to a phone, a place to receive mail
- Computer labs
- A job readiness program where you will receive help on resume writing and job searches
- Help getting replacement birth certificates and identification
- Access to clothing
- Help with food or shelter referrals
- Bus tickets to verifiable appointments
- Assistance with medical prescription
- Hospitality of hot drinks, water, and access to a bathroom
- Sanctuary from the elements
Reaching Out Further:
Even though we have historically had our largest Empowerment Center in Wilmington, with Newark’s center growing every year, Friendship House has always striven to serve all of New Castle County. Over the years it has become apparent that those who need services and do not live near or in these two cities are not finding their way to county and state wide agencies for help. Friendship House is committed to closing that gap. We are actively finding pathways to meet those families and individuals who find themselves in crisis and help them navigate through the human service network. For more information or to be a part of this ministry, please email us at email@example.com.
Every Sunday we serve a free, hot breakfast prepared by volunteers the day before to displaced people in the community. This mission is offered 52 weeks of the year, and we welcome volunteers. If you are in need of a meal Sunday morning, please join us at 720 N. Orange St. Wilmington, DE 19801 between the hours of 6:00am – 8:00am. There is no need to RSVP but it is first come, first serve. We do our best to ensure there is enough food for all.
Modified Hours in response to Covid-19:
Wilmington Empowerment Center (720 N. Orange St. Wilmington DE 19801):
- Please use 719 N Shipley St. entrance
- Morning Hospitality: Mon – Fri 7:30am – 8:30am
- Sunday Breakfast: 7:00am – 8:00am
- For appointment call (302) 652-8033: Mon-Thu 9:00am – 2:00pm & Fri 9:00am – 12:00pm
Newark Empowerment Center (69 E. Main St. Newark, DE 19711):
- Please use 62 E Delaware Ave entrance
- Food at Door: Mon-Fri 1:00pm – 2:00pm
- For appointment call (302) 544-0165: Mon – Fri 2:00pm – 4:00pm
MOT Empowerment Center (44 W. Main St. Middletown, DE 19709)
- Please use back entrance
- Morning Hospitality: Mon – Fri 8:30am-10:00am
- For appointment call (302) 416- 0982: Mon – Fri 8:30am – 11:30am
Boxwood Empowerment Center (701 S Maryland Ave Wilmington, DE 19804)
- For appointment call (302) 648-3117: Mon & Wed 9:00am – 3:00pm, Tue, Thu, & Fri 9:00am – 11:30am
Mill Creek Outreach
- St. Marks UMC Outreach (1700 Limestone Rd. Wilmington, DE 19804)
- Food giveaway: every Wednesday 1:00pm – 2:00pm
- St. John’s Outreach (907 Milltown Rd. Wilmington, DE 19808)
- Food & clothing closet: Mon & Wed 9:00am – 11:00am