Free Meals: Open To All
Weekdays: Emmanuel Dining Room West, 2nd & Jackson St., 7:30-8:30 A.M.
Saturday: Connections, 8th & Washington St., 8:30-9:00 A.M.
Sunday: Friendship House, 8th & Shipley St., 5:30-8:00 A.M.
Daily: Emmanuel Dining Room West, 2nd & Jackson St., Noon-1:00 P.M.
Emmanuel Dining Room East, 3rd & Walnut St., Noon-1:00 P.M.
Weekdays: Emmanuel Dining Room South, 500 Rodgers Rd., Noon-1:00 P.M.
Weekdays: Hope Dining Room, Newark, 300 Marrows Rd, Noon – 1:00 PM
Daily: Sunday Breakfast Mission, 110 N Poplar St., 6:00 – 6:30 P.M.
* Numerous other churches, community groups and individuals feed throughout the week. Some drop off bag lunches; others serve hot meals at the local parks.
Go Bags: Because there are so few free meals served in Newark, the Friendship House Newark Empowerment Center distributes “Go Bag” to clients every weekday. With enough food for one meal, a typical Go Bag will have a variety of nonperishable food items (e.g. crackers, microwave meals, canned fruit, pudding, cookies, boxed fruit drink, etc.). The NEC is located in Newark United Methodist Church at 69 E Main St. and is open weekdays from 1:00 – 4:00 PM. Use the rear entrance.
Groceries: Some Centers Require a Referral, Proof of Residence and Photo ID
- Lutheran Community Services (1304 N Rodney St., Wilmington 654 – 8886) operates food pantries at: St. Stephen’s Lutheran Church, Hope Lutheran Church and Zion Lutheran Church. It also distributes fresh produce at St. Stephen’s Lutheran Church and St. Philip’s Lutheran Church. The Center is open 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM Monday thru Friday.
- Sunday Breakfast Mission Community Outreach Program (110 N Poplar St, Wilmington 652-8314) also distributes weekly food boxes.
- West End Neighborhood House Crisis Alleviation Program (710 N Lincoln St, Wilmington 658-4171) serves all of New Castle County.
- Claymont Community Center (3301 Green St, Claymont 792-2757) has a food pantry for people in the Claymont area.
- Hanover Presbyterian Church (1801 N Jefferson St, Wilmington 658-5114) Thursday mornings, no referral needed
- Salvation Army Community Center (5th & Orange St, Wilmington 472-0750) 9 – 11 AM, Monday thru Friday.
- Victory Christian Fellowship (100 Wilton Blvd, New Castle 324 -5400) Saturday Only
- Holy Family Roman Catholic Church (15 Gender Rd, Newark 368-4665) Food pantry in the Parish House is open several weekday evenings.
- Newark Welfare Center (69 E Main St, Newark). Food pantry located in Newark United Methodist Church, Referrals only through the Hudson Social Service Center.
(Last updated 11/25/2019)