This page will be used for updates as we begin to solidify plans.
In previous years, Friendship House and our many Code Purple partners managed the New Castle County emergency winter shelter when the overnight temperatures dropped below freezing. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are unable to use our usual donated locations or rely on volunteers the same way. Because Friendship House is committed to providing winter shelter this year, we are working in collaboration with the state, county, our dedicated Code Purple partners, and many other agencies to ensure safe and effective options.
Winter 2020-2021 Code Purple Plan:
- New Castle County has purchased the former Sheraton Hotel on Airport Rd and FH will run Code Purple programing out of this location to house street-level homeless daily this winter.
- Code Purple will begin mid-December.
- Code Purple will be every night this winter (not just when temperatures drop below freezing)
- FH will not run weekend Winter Sanctuary out of First & Central Presbyterian Church and Trinity Episcopal Church this winter
- FH and Code Purple partnering congregations will not host street-level homeless at normal Code Purple locations, all guests will be placed at the hotel.
- We will be hiring
- We’ll need your help!